15 to 20 mins
Makes about 20
Rock cakes are a light, crumbly tea-time favourite. Eat while they are still warm from the oven. So easy to make, and lots of fun for children to join in too.
2 cups (250g / 8oz) self raising flour sifted or use plain flour with a teaspoon of baking powder.
90g (3oz) butter
1/2 cup (125g / 4oz) of sugar
1/2 cup (95g / 3oz) mixed dried fruit
3 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200*c (400*c/Gas 6).
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add your sugar & dried fruit into it
- Rub the butter into the mixture with your fingertips until it’s fine and crumbly.
- Whisk your egg into the milk and add to the mixture until it forms a dough.
- Spoon in small heaps (flatten it with the edge of your palms) onto greased baking trays. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a cup of tea or ice cream.
Please Note: The texture should be a thick, lumpy dough – don’t be tempted to add too much liquid.
Have you tasted Rock cakes before?
See you tomorrow