I’m in the business of blogging/content creator/ business owner (aka self employed/freelancer) for about 6 months now but before that I was working as the community program officer of an NGO. Even though I was working full time, I was doing all the above by the side. During which I was able to make as much (if not much in some months) as I was earning as a monthly salary at my 9-5. This shows that it is very possible to make money from your passions or side hustle.
The truth is I couldn’t have done all of this on my own. When I started working for the NGO, the commute from my office to my house was practically half of my salary (please don’t ask me why I decided to work there, it’s a story for another day). I definitely knew that it could not sustain me especially if I wanted to have any form savings at all.
Knowing that I couldn’t do anything on my own, I asked my master planner “God” for the next steps in order to walk in financial dominion/freedom. Best believe me, He always answers. He opened my eyes to things I had heard about before which has helped me be a blessing despite economic and worldwide situation. I haven’t lacked in my finances in this times. Why? It’s because by Grace, I have practiced and obeyed everything He has taught me over the years.
This is the purpose behind this post, to share with you what He has taught me, in the hopes that it would give you financial freedom.
The first thing He showed me was this verse in the Bible
“Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath.” – Deuteronomy 8:18 NLT
This verse has kept me grounded, it’s a constant reminder that even if there are different opportunities or ideas around me, it is God that makes me successful in everything; in that blogpost with the highest views, in the sale of that product, in the growth of my business, in that new contract etc.
Secondly, God has a running budget for every of His agenda on Earth, so why don’t you have one.
“I will shake all the nations, and the treasures of all the nations will be brought to this Temple. I will fill this place with glory, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.” – Haggai 2:7-8 NLT
Creating a budget on how I spend per month has helped a lot for example 20% of my monthly earnings go to God and the interest of His kingdom and the remaining 80% is divided into savings, expenses, and other things. Creating a budget keeps your accountable and secure. I use PiggyVest to save & invest securely. You can Sign up with my link and get ₦1,000.00 to start your own savings journey
In order to achieve financial freedom, it’s important to know hard work & smart work is key
“Lazy people are soon poor; hard workers get rich.” – Proverbs 10:4 NLT
Did you know that even in this lockdown, many people have earned more than they did even before the lockdown and this is because they did not give room to any form of downtime. They sat down and thought of different ways to stay financially stable. Get up and work!
Even in this lockdown, I have gotten a new client and sold more than I did before. Thank God for favor and wisdom but if I had just sat down with the hopes of things turning around maybe I won’t have gotten anything at all.
Be careful not to make hasty or rash decisions with your finances. Sit down, think, ask questions and directions.
““But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?”
Luke 14:28 NLT
“So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.”
Galatians 5:16 NLT
Also beware of covetousness, Life is in phases and men are in sizes. Be content with where and what you have at the moment, best believe it in due time God would take you to your next level.
Last but definitely not the least is GIVE GIVE GIVE & GIVE once and again. What are the various ways to give
1. Tithes & offerings ( Yes, I said it! Don’t even try to argue with me on this) Read Malachi 3-4
2. Give to the needy around you
3. Give to your mother & father or elders that have been a blessing to you, talk about the blessings of parents, the best
In summary the key is to be a blessing to those around you! Remember to start from where you are and what you can afford.
I really hope the few things I have shared in this post helps you achieve financial freedom.
Remember it’s what you do with the information you receive now that changes everything. What can you do differently or remain consistent in TODAY, in achieving financial freedom. May God grant us all grace in Jesus name.
Thank you for reading