What if i start to feel worse? What if they hate me? What if she sees me sweating? What if i mess up in the exam?
Technically, anxiety is apprehension over an upcoming event. I remember feeling this way about two weeks ago. I got a mail to come write an aptitude test and my heart may have skipped a beat on seeing the mail, palms all sweaty, throat dry. Then the what ifs came up. At that moment i became anxious for the test day.
When you are feeling anxious, you might feel stuck like i did. Sometimes you even judge yourself for being anxious. Anxiety destroys confidence & productivity; and we’ll dont want that. I would be sharing with you some of my favorite ways of calming an anxious mind.
1. Take a deep breath – Place your hand on your belly and take a deep breath through your nose filling your lower lungs, expending your stomach not your upper chest. Exhale slowly and repeat until your breath stabilizes and you
begin to calm.
2. Listen to music – Play your favorite song. Close your eyes and just listen.
3. Get enough sleep – The mind and body need
sleep in order to rest and refresh. An average person requires 8 hours of sleep everyday. Sleep deprivation is one of the primary causes of anxiety. Go to bed early and ensure you get up to seven to nine hours of sleep for a healthy
4. Stop over analysing – Dont always sweat the small stuff. Let it go! If you find yourself worrying over things you have no control of; go outside, play your favorite song or take a wall.
5. Talk it out – Whether to your friend or in a journal. Talk it out! Cry if you want to.
Sometimes all we need is to just let it out.
6. Speak positivity – Surround yourself with positive affirmations read more here
7. Keep a gratitude journal – This helps to remind you about the amazing things in your life. Jot down at least 3 things you are grateful
8. Treat yourself – Take sometime off for yourself to read a book, take photographs, get a mani-pedi, watch a movie.
9. Take a nap – Give yourself a break. 10-15 minutes nap can go a long way.
10. Pray – This should have probably been the first. Commit all your worries to God, tell Him how you feel, He is always available to hear you. Whenever i give Him all my worries, i get calm. Trust Him and have faith.
Whatever it is that you feel anxious about; job, family, relationships find a calming routine and stick to it.
Sign up to receive exclusive contents, fashion & beauty tips and weekly round ups on pearls and pencil